Are you looking for a vegetarian Christmas main course? You have come to the right place my dear! This stuffed pumpkin is definitely worth checking out out and serving during the Christmas dinner this year. I am such a big fan of this recipe because the oven does most of the work for you. This Christmas dish really is super delicious, easy and healthy. Just the way I like it! I am more than happy to share this dish with you so let’s continue.
DELICIOUS STUFFED PUMPKIN | CHRISTMAS DINNER
Since Christmas is right around the corner most of us are making plans for Christmas dinner. It’s probably the most important dinner of the year and that’s why it’s so important to be well prepared. Don’t let the Christmas cooking stress get the best of you 😉 With this healthy Christmas recipe there won’t be any stress, promise. Shall we get cooking?
INGREDIENTS: (FOR 1 STUFFED PUMKPIN)
- 1 butternut squash (1 kg)
- 200 grams of mixed mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 50 grams of sundried tomatoes
- 100 grams of lentils (drained)
- 100 grams of chickpeas (drained)
- 50 grams of feta cheese (Greek cheese)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 red bell pepper
- 50 grams of black olives
- a few twigs of fresh sage
- grinded pepper / salt
- olive oil
- a few cm of rope
- Preheat the oven for 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the butternut squash into 2 parts (be careful!) and remove the pumpkin seeds with a spoon.
- Place both parts in a backing tin (on their skin) and sprinkle some olive oil, a pinch of salt and grinded black pepper on top.
- Place the backing tin in the oven voor around 50 minutes.
- Create the stuffing by cutting the bell pepper into small pieces and also do this with the mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, union and garlic.
- Bake this in a pan with a few drops of olive oil and grinded pepper (on medium heat) for 8 minutes.
- Drain the lentils and chickpeas.
- Add the lentils, chickpeas and a few leaves of sage to the pan after 8 minutes and bake for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the baked squash from the oven after 50 minutes (make sure the inside is soft) and let this cool down for just a couple of minutes.
- Remove some of the soft pumpkin from both parts of the baked pumpkin (so we can stuff both parts) by creating a little hole. Use a spoon to do this.
- Add the soft pumpkin to the pan and mix well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Also add pieces of feta cheese.
- We are going to stuff one of the pumpkin parts.
- Do this by adding the stuffing into the little hole we just created by removing some of the soft pumpkin. Be generous with the stuffing and make sure to create a little pile since we are going to place the other half on the pumpkin on top.
- Place to other half of the pumpkin on top of the stuffed pumpkin and carefully attach the 2 parts with a piece of wire / rope. As you can see on the image.
- Place the stuffed pumkpin in the oven for a good 15 minutes.
- AFTER: cut slices from the baked stuffed pumpkin and serve while the pumpkin is still warm and yummy.