What are you cooking for Christmas this year?! In case you are one of the lucky ones to cook a great Christmas dinner for your family than my number #1 would be to start early! Make sure you are well prepared. This will save you a lot of time and stress! And ofcourse I want to help you out by sharing healthy, easy and delicious Christmas recipes with you. Like these healthy Christmas crackers as a starter. Super yummy and vegetarian. Shall I tell you how to make these Christmas crackers yourself? Please continue.
CHRISTMAS CRACKERS AS A STARTER
I mean, come on… Don’t they look super cute?! I always find it super important to make sure the food on festive days like Christmas also looks great. It just makes the dinner experience that much extra 😉 It might look like a difficult dish to make but don’t let that fool you! It’s pretty easy and I will walk you through the recipe step by step. I got you covered babe! The fun thing about this Christmas recipe is that you can be really creative with the stuffing of the Christmas crackers. Why not add your favorite kind of herbs of some other delicious seeds and nuts? Anyway, let’s get cooking since Christmas is right around the corner!
INGREDIENTS: (4 CHRISTMAS CRACKERS):
- 8 layers of filo pastry
- 250 grams of pumpkin
- 80 grams of feta cheese (Greek cheese)
- 3 tbsp of hummus
- 60 grams cashew nuts
- 50 grams of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp grinded cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp dried Rosemary
- 40 grams of raisins
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- grinded peper / pinch of salt
- olive oil
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
- Cut the pumpkin into small pieces (you don’t have to remove the skin). Add to a backing tin and mix well with 2 tbsp of olive oil and 1 tbsp rosemary.
- Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Mix the pieces of feta cheese with pieces of cashew nuts, the drained chickpeas, cumin seeds, raisins, honey and a pinch of salt and grinded peper. Mix well.
- Wait till the pumpkin is done and start to prepare the pastry.
- Add 2 layers of the filo pastry on top of each other and add a few drops of olive oil in between the layers and on top of the second layer. Make sure to spread out the olive oil equally.
- Add the baked pumpkin to the other mixed ingredients.
- It’s time to create the Christmas crackers!
- Add 3 spoons of the stuffing in the middle of the short side of the filo party. (About 1,5 cm from the edge).
- Also make sure to leave to bottom and top sides empty (about 3 cm) so we can close both of the ends with a little wire. As you can see on the image.
- Carefully roll one part of the filo pastry (the part where we put the stuffing) to the other side. This will create a roll.
- If you did this you can now close both of the ends gently with a peace of colorful wire.
- Add a little more olive oil on top of the Christmas crackers and add all the Christmas crackers to a backing tray.
- When you are finished with creating all the Christmas crackers add them to the preheated oven voor about 20 to 25 minutes. Until they are gold and brown!
- The sure are pretty right?
- Serve while they are still warm and extra yummy!
Which Christmas dishes will you be serving to your guests this year?